In December 2020, we decided to run an experiment in five Western Balkan countries where we, as Swiss EP, are active at the moment. The survey was inspired by the latest book of Brad Feld, The Startup Community Way.
Feld is speaking about different principles, actors, and factors that uphold an vibrant and impactful entrepreneurial ecosystem and startup community. The test’s purpose was to examine how well Feld’s ethos resonants in the startup communities in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, and Serbia.
We interviewed 60 representatives of startups, startup support organizations, international experts, and a few public institutions. We asked them to reflect on the current status and quality of the entrepreneurial ecosystem/startup community, consider how things looked five years ago (2015) and make a comparison.
In the weeks ahead, I will present and reflect on their answers – one question at a time.
- How well is the startup community in your city helping entrepreneurs today?
- How well is the startup community in your city helping entrepreneurs today
- Is the startup community in your city organized through networks of trust?
- How well do “Give First” values reflect reality in the startup community helping entrepreneurs today?
- How well do openers, support and collaboration reflect reality in the startup community helping entrepreneurs today?
- How well is entrepreneurial success being recycled into the startup community today?
- How interconnected are startup communities in your town?
- Are entrepreneurs leading the startup community in your town?
- How inclusive and welcoming is the startup community in your town?
- To what extent does the startup community in your town offer services to startups in all stages of their development?